The Opposite of Loneliness







































When I was young, I used to think I wanted to be happy. And then I older and realized "happy" was too broad. Also college came, so I changed my answer to "successful".
But now more than ever, I want to be the opposite of lonely. Whatever word that may be? Crowded? Surrounded? It's way more than that. I have friends, I have family, I have a group of circle. But again, it's more than that. It's the feeling of understanding and connection. I want to share the same passion and aspirations. I want to share my ideas with someone and someone to share back with me "Yeah! I totally get that!!".

Too often I'm shut down by my goals and aspiration, because I'm too young, because I lack experience, because I'm a girl, because of nothing.

So I'm sitting on bench now in Madison Square Park. My second favorite park in New York City (no park can beat Central Park) but Flatiron District is my favorite place in New York City. Anyways sitting on a bench alone and people watching. I see couples who are comfortable with each other, some new couples setting up a spark, some older couples laughing and warming each other with their familiar faces. Then I see co-workers relieving their stress and sharing their workplace's faults while finding joy in sharing misery. Families excited at the promise of growing together and sharing something, no one in the world can take from them. Dogs following their owner and owners looking down in awe that someone could love unconditionally from giving so little in return. And there's me. Me, who is staring from afar with admiration in hopes one day I'll be able to walk through my favorite neighborhood in NYC with the feeling of.... loved. that's it. I think that's the closest word I can come up with for the opposite of loneliness. Love, the feeling of being safe and supported. That to me is what I want.

Comments