Happy International Women's Day/Racism at a MTA Station

This post is way overdue, but better late than never?
I was waiting for the train to go home with one of my co workers on a late weeknight. We spent our night with a few of our co workers celebrating International Women's Day. What a great night to be surrounded by successful ambitious women. As we wait for the train, an older white male around his 40s started cursing and using foul language at us as he walked away. He yelled the words "Stupid Chinese people. Stupid Chinese girls. I hate Chinese people". I've never faced such verbal abuse in reality. I've read about it on the news, I've seen shared social media posts of racism everyday in America but I have never firsthand experienced it. I felt aggrieved and didn't know how to respond. He stopped his movements a few feet away from us and stared us and then continued to scream racial slurs. That was when I spoke up, I didn't curse of anger or hate to him. But told him that this is not how you treat others and why is he so angry. He continued to curse at us, thankfully an African American female spoke up for us. She stood tall with us, as if she was being targeted. He stopped cursing and went on with his way. I felt so happy that though this other woman was not involved in our situation, she stood up for us. So yeah, there's a lot of messed up chaos going on in America now. But we have to stand together as brothers and sister, we can not let physical appearances, the color of someone's skin, the shape of one's eye separate our unity. Stand up for yourself as well as your diverse neighbors.

Comments