Not Eating Meat For A Whole Year

Last year my new year's resolution was to not eat meat for a whole year. Insane right? I loved Burger King's chicken sandwich and any type of pork dumpling I can get my chopsticks on. But i wanted a challenge for the year and a resolution that would help me get into healthier lifestyle.

So how did it all start? In college, once you leave the dorm life, the meal passes also leave with you. So i had to start cooking on my own. Almost all of my classmates were broke except the lucky few who had parents to support them with all their expensive decisions. Cooking meat was pricey and also laborious. The chicken always came out too rough and flavorless and my wallet could not dare to buy any red meats. I also got involved as a Research Assistance in a nutrition lab. There, I learned how harmful meat can be to your body (emphasize on the word can) and the benefits of a non-meat diet. The best diet research finds is the pescarterian diet, so once January 1st of 2016 came, i decided why not? Lets see how far I can go.

See below for a few bullets that helped me when stay committed to my goal

  • Get CREATIVE. When people think about vegetables, they usually think of bland steamed carrots or broccoli. But there's so many ways to make vegetables fun and tasty!
    Try getting a Zoodle maker, to make zucchini into pasta-like!

  • Share your goals. At first i was shy to tell people about my resolution, i was scared i wouldn't be able to complete it and face disappointment. But i started opening up to people and sharing my progress, my best friend was so inspired she did it for 3 months!
  • Read blogs and watch videos. By reading/watching how other vegetarian/vegan bloggers share their enthusiasm and nutritional facts, it inspired me with more creative recipes. I really enjoyed watching Kalel Youtube videos and reading Cookie and Kate

Comments