Chucking the Phone Away

You ever just want to silent your phone and slam it into your wall? I do, many times.

I have a love/hate relationship with my phone. I love the accessibility my phone offers me; GPS, GRE apps, alarm. I love the aesthetic look and feel it offers. I love that it is also a music device to distract me from the outside world.

I hate how it can make me so addicted to the artificial outside world; how attached I am to unreal experiences. I hate that this piece of metal can feed a whole family in need for a month. Maybe all these morose feelings toward my phone is a reason why I am a terrible texter. I generally dont enjoy and maintain having conversations via texting. I am terrible at texting, either I will respond hours later or not respond at all but that doesn't mean I dont want to hold the conversation. Texting keeps me staying close to my phone when all I want to do is silent it.

I despise how decadent our generation (especially the younger generation) has become and how we are so attached to this social/internet media world. My two favorite apps: Instagram and Snapchat. I try my best to only fill my newsfeed in those two apps with things I am interested in; food and fittness, health science, fashion. But sometimes I catch myself binging on other accounts that don't inspire me but instead make me feel less of myself. She's so thin, wow her skin is so clear, her life is so interesting compared to mine. But its not real. I'm about to be 22, and there are many times when these apps, society pressure, makes me feel flustered about myself. I can't imagine how younger girls who are still searching for their identity able to handle this nonsense fake social identity.

One may consider just deleting the apps as an easy solution, or not looking at those accounts. Like i mentioned before, I love the premise of instagram and snapchat. I love the purity of capturing a photo because it enhances a certain feeling. I just hate the addiction social media and how narcissistic a phone can make someone. That's why I despise Facebook. Again I love the premise of Facebook(and Mark Zuckerberg) , creating a timeline to look back at our events in life but once again it traps people to thinking that an audience is constantly watching them.



Comments