The Train Ride Home

So I've been on train rides a lot... My commute to Columbia goes around 4-5 hours of my day. Yelp can go from 2-4 hours a day. MTA has consumed a huge part of my life ever since I've been back. In order to save time, I decided it might be helpful to blog on my train rides. One, that might help increase my blogging activity. Two, hopefully it'll help me kill more time.

So much has happened over this past week... This week might just be my most exhausting week of the summer yet. I started my Columbia training, and I can sum it up to this: is it worth it This summer internship requires at least 32 unpaid hours a week. I wouldnt mind that if I was involved in experiments that interest me. But all i find myself doing is clerical work such as faxing, or copying papers. Plus the amount of disparage given from the supervisors are unbearable. They do not see the interns as human beings at all, and clearly try to take advantage of the unpaid interns.

Compared to Yelp(which I love!, my supervisor and everyone else treats me with great appreciation. My supervisor is understanding an always tries to make my experience the best it can be. I had an event from 10-5 pm (Northside Expo, great event!). I wasnt paid for the afternoon but i stayed anyways to help out because I loved what I was doing and respect my boss enough to do hours that are beyond payment.

With my Columbia conflict, I emailed two professors whom I look up to, my mentor, and even asked random strangers on the train. Is it worth it? Doing a crappy job for the name of the University or getting knowledgeable experience at a mediocre school? I'm not sure what the answer is, but I hope in the future I can look back at the post and be glad I made the correct choice.

Comments