Follow your heart and you wont regret it

Winnie told me that to "follow your heart and you wont regret it", when I ranted to her about my predicament; I had a full-time job... doing something I have no passion for.
In college we're constantly told the reason we study so hard so in the future we could do something we love and make a living out of it. We're constantly admonished that there are people doing average jobs, jobs they hate because they settled. They became comfortable and stopped chasing their dreams.



Never would I thought I would be occurrence. I thought I would graduate, find a research position in Manhattan, get paid for it, constantly moving and learning, have time to run and train for a half-marathon, Ace the GREs. But reality hit, getting research position is more difficult than expected. And I accepted a full-time not in research.
My co-workers in amazing, they're supportive, kind, altruistic. They all have their own backstory, chasing their own goals.
But I wasnt chasing mine. Full-time made me ignore my GREs, my applications, I didn't have time to focus on things that mattered the most.

So I had to make a decision. I cried to my mom (something I would NEVER do). I had to decide should i keep doing something I dont hate, but definitely don't love, BUT it does give me a paycheck, stability. Or giving it up for the unpredictable. Giving up my full time, I could lose even more than I have now. I lose a paycheck, a job, stability for the possibility of getting into graduate school and also the possibility or not getting into graduate school and losing a job.

I chose graduate school. If a year from now, I'm doing a job i dont have any passion for because I chose to be comfortable, that's not the person I want to be. I don't ever want to look back a year from now, doing a job I hate because I didn't chase my goals. I wont settle. I can't settle.


Comments